Saturday, September 02, 2006

Holy Mackerel, part 1



I spent some time in Venice and Santa Monica today. It was so hot in the Valley... I just needed to get away. Halfway over the hill, on the 405, I realized it was Labor Day Weekend and I immediately started crabbing about how busy it was gonna be at the beach. I calmed down after a few moments, figuring it would be better than sitting in 100-degree heat!

I roller-bladed from Pico, off Ocean, all the way to the Venice pier, and then back. I decided to get the camera from the truck and take a walk, to see what photo opps I could find, or create. It is in this process of spontaneous, unassigned, and just-for-fun shooting that I really get in touch with my creative soul. I feel inspired from within, seeing light and vibrant colors that speak to me, evoking a spiritual sense of poetic license. I guess what I am really trying to say is that it was a great day!

I walked west, or north, (depending on your Angeleeno-displacement) on the beach, toward the Santa Monica Pier. I took in the sun and surf and wind... watching all the kids digging tide-pools in the sand. I saw some white roses washed-up in the foam and seaweed. I studied a few for a short time, and, determining my frustratin with the scene, I continued on toward the pier. Once I got on the pier, I focused on all the people that were present. Families walking by, boyfriend/girlfriend's, park employes, and street performers. I started seeing the light giving form to everything around me. All the sharp contrasts, subtle shades, and colorful energies were presenting a palette of life surrounding me.

I found a group of people fishing on the end of the pier, a family with some friends perhaps. They were having a great time, the men baiting their hooks, a few women watching after the kids. They had an arsenal of fishing rods, bait, tackle, ice-chests with food and sodas. They were definitely fishing! And having a blast, even while the rest of the world were watching them all as if they were street entertainment. It was pretty cool to observe.

No comments: