Wednesday, December 06, 2006

praying mantis



When I returned home after a week on the road a few weeks back, I found this female praying mantis laying her eggs in the tread groove of one of my truck's tires. I was very excited as I had never seen a praying mantis before. After studying her for a bit, I decided I would take a few shots. I was surprised how close I could get, and if it weren't for the long lens I was using, I could have gotten closer than the three feet my focus would allow me. The next day, when I had some time to peruse the images, I wished I had used the shorter macro lens when I discovered some soft images due to the low light and the long lens. But I think this is an acceptable shot after a little photoshop work. I was amazed to find out how many different species of praying mantis there are. Check it out here. I learned that most species are not harmful to humans, but they are very defensive when it comes to leaving their eggs in your tire tread and you want to leave so you can go home and pass out after a long week of shooting!

No comments: