Thursday, August 21, 2008

Surfing in Minnesota?


For a few weeks now, I have been wanting to photograph the windsurfers on Lake Calhoun , but every time I’ve had the chance, there’s been little or no wind. Finally, this afternoon, the winds were whipping up good on the lake. So I grabbed my sandals and headed on over to the beach.

The Lakes, as they are affectionately called by Minneapolitans, are at the heart of South Minneapolis where sailors, bikers, rollerbladers, runners, and parkway cruisers are plentiful. When there is a good wind, you can find the boaters and windsurfers going crazy out on the water. Lake Calhoun is the only lake I have seen windsurfers, since nearby Lake Harriet and Lake of the Isles are a bit more sheltered and not near as windsurfer-friendly. Actually, there is quite a healthy population of windsurfers who congregate here, and there is seldom a day that goes by when there isn’t at least a couple die-hards out chasing the wind.

No comments: